- Everyone who is arrested by the police is entitled to free advice and assistance whilst they are detained at the police station, regardless of their financial situation.
- On arrival at the police station you will be asked if you want a solicitor. If you ask for JFH Crime, we will arrange for one of our lawyers to come and represent you.
- If you have been asked to attend the police station by appointment, for example for an interview under caution (also called a caution +3 interview) we will arrange to come with you.
- Where appropriate we will provide continued advice and assistance without charge whilst the police consider whether you will be charged for an offence.
If you have to go to court, or to the police station, one of the first things you will want to know is how much does legal representation cost? Where appropriate, JFH Crime will endeavour to provide assistance or advice without charge. However when payment is necessary we will provide a transparent quote tailored to your budget.
Police Station Representation
Free advice and assistance
- Some of our clients require more assistance and support, and choose to pay privately for our attendance at the police station and for our advice pending any criminal charge.
- Our solicitors and barristers are able to provide practical advice and support during this difficult time. If appropriate, we can make written representations to the police on your behalf.
- Our lawyers’ hourly rates range from £150 to £300 (excluding VAT) depending on their experience.
Magistrates / Crown Court
- Legal aid is available for some Magistrate Court cases, however it is subject to a ‘merits’ test and a ‘means’ test.
- The ‘merits’ test looks at the nature of the case and decides whether it is appropriate for that case to be paid for from the public purse.
- The ‘means’ test considers your financial situation, and that of your husband / wife /partner. In the Magistrates Court, if you fail the ‘means’ test you are not eligible for legal aid.
- In the Crown Court, almost everyone is financially eligible, but you can be ordered to pay a contribution towards your legal costs, either during the case from your income or at the end of the case from your capital.
- Many of our clients prefer to instruct us on a private paying basis, so that they have more control over the way their case is managed and are free from the limitations imposed by publicly funded cases.
- We are able to provide you with a clear estimate of costs, and can tailor the preparation of your case according to your budget.
Get in touch with our dedicated JFH Crime team today to see how our tailored services can help you. For 24 hr emergencies call 07939 958767.